Monday, September 4, 2017

30 Years Ago ....... 30 Años después...... Gabriel Perez 14 Sept 1987-2017


                             Gabriel Perez 14 Sep 1987



30 years ago...

Thirty years ago I was a Captain in the Army stationed in Jacksonville Florida in an Army Recruiting Battalion. 30 years ago I was going to be a father for the first time and it was going to be a boy. His name is Gabriel and he was due to be born on the same month and date that I was born, so what else could I have asked for?

Since January of that year we knew he was on its way, we first heard his heart beat, then we saw his images on ultrasound. And we even found out that he was a boy by the same means. We bonded with him as he grew and moved inside the womb . Can't forget the joy and happiness you feel when you are expecting a child as a father; the pride of having a son, needless to say a first born who will carry the family name,a kid to teach the ropes of life a friend later on as you grow and all of  that was Suddenly stopped by his death. Or as it is technically said still-born death.

Taking away a man's dream, his future, is one of the most horrible things to do. Society, governments, dictators, false leaders do it every day. But when you loose you child you question it all; you are angry at the world at God, yourself and there is only one phrase that harps in your mind: what if?  There is no comfort for this loss, there is nothing that will ever change the fact that he lived inside a womb and in his final path due to a physical and abrupt tear of the placenta he dies. A medical condition that happens 1in every 200,000 women in the US.

A lottery, which you did not care to be part of, makes you a?   What is it that you call a parent that looses a child?   A nameless death, yes, to date there is no word to describe in any language......   There is no single word like orphan, widow, to describe this loss. This is how harsh it is not even capable to label yourself, as a bereaved parent. It is so traumatic that in many cases it breaks marriages.

Today I am 62 going on 63 soon for almost half of my life I have carried this pain, I can say this has gotten more bearable, but it does not go away. Gabriel is ever present and has been ever since that day. The day he died his cousin was born; they both weigh the same and had the same height. So one lived and another died. Later in the neighborhood another boy is born with his name and it goes on, many years later I got to work with a young man with his name and he who happens to be around his age if he would have lived, was a gift for three years to see what my Gabriel could have been.

Every 14th of September I submerse my day in prayer, as another year turns and only one certain thing I know; and that is I am closer to meet him once again.  It is merely a biological reality I am older, I do have two beautiful daughters that I wish to see them get married and see grandchildren so that is what keeps me alive, motivated to spend these last year's assuming I reach the ripe age of 90.

But that is not my choice, it is in the hands of that same God, I questioned when Gabriel died, and have asked pardon all these years, Jesus Christ who I accept as my savior and his Mother the Theotochos  Maria whom I was commended at birth by my own mother. As a devout Orthodox Christian I have accepted his passing and given many thanks for my daughters who have brought the joy of life, the challenges of parenthood.

-->

But as the date arrives once again, my heart once again focuses on him, the one who never came to this world, the one who never breathed, cried or smiled. An now only 30 years later can I understand that he was not my sacrifice to the choir of angels ( like my grandmother used to tell me) that there was a purpose for his death as others advised me. Gabriel in spirit has walked with me all these years has taught me to love life and the two sisters that came after him. I have a vision of him and physically imagined him. At all ages he has either worked with him seen him grow, I have laughed and cried with him and seen him once again walk away.

 30 years to rekindle the thought of what could have been a happy day, and turned out to be the worst day in my life. Once he died, I became immune to death, no fear, I went to war with no fear of dying, having a two year old daughter at that time just gave  me a reason to come back alive.  After 30 years I have buried my mother, father, uncles, aunts but none have impacted me as much. It was his death that changed me to be the man I am today.

Gabriel my son I love you, and wait for the day we will be together again. You have always been in my heart, have taught me to heal but never forgotten. Please wait a bit longer for a lot must happen before we are together again. You have your grandparents at your side, they will keep you company for now.

-->
But on this date I do remember you as if it would have been yesterday, love dad


Hace 30 años...

Hace treinta años yo era un capitán en el ejército de ls EEUU estacionado en Jacksonville Florida en un batallón de reclutamiento del ejército. hace 30 años yo iba a ser padre por primera vez y el que iba a nacer era un niño. Su nombre es Gabriel y él iba a nacer en el mismo mes y la fecha en que nací, así que ¿qué más podía han pedido?

Desde Enero de ese año, sabíamos que él estaba en  camino, primero escuchamos su corazón latir, luego vimos las imágenes en ultrasonido. Y hasta nos enteramos que era un niño en el mismo medio. Empezamos  a quererlo y enlazado con él como él creció y se movió dentro de la matriz. No hay que olvidar la alegría y la felicidad que se siente cuando están esperando un hijo como un padre; el orgullo de tener un hijo, no hace falta decirlo un primer nacido que llevará el nombre de familia, un niño para enseñar a las cuerdas de la vida un amigo más adelante en la medida que crece y todos los que de repente fue detenido por su muerte. O como es técnicamente dicha muerte al nacer.

Quitando el sueño de un hombre, su futuro, es una de las más terribles cosas que se puede  hacer. Sociedades, los gobiernos, dictadores, líderes falsos lo hacen todos los días. Pero cuando pierdes un hijo;  cuestiona todo; estás enfadado con el mundo, con Dios, a ti mismo y sólo queda una frase que tortura tu mente: ¿Qué tal si? No hay ningún consuelo por esta pérdida, no hay nada que nunca va a cambiar el hecho de que él vivió dentro de una matriz y en su camino final debido a un desgarro físico y abrupto de la placenta muere. Una condición médica que ocurre en 1 de cada 200.000 mujeres en los Estados Unidos.

¿Una lotería, que no me importaba ser parte de, te hace un? ¿Qué es lo que usted llama un padre que pierden un hijo? Una muerte sin nombre, sí, hasta la fecha no existe palabra para describir en cualquier idioma... No hay ninguna sola palabra como huérfano, viuda, para describir esta pérdida. Esto es tan áspero que no es capaz incluso etiquetar a sí mismo, como una madre afligida. Es tan traumática que en muchos casos rompe matrimonios.

Hoy tengo 62 años de edad, proto cumplo los 63, casi la mitad de mi vida he llevado a este dolor, si puedo decir que esto se ha vuelto más soportable, pero no desaparece. Gabriel está siempre presente y ha sido desde ese día. Nació el día que murió su primo; ambos pesan lo mismo y tenía la misma longitud. Por lo que uno vivió y otro murió. Más tarde otro niño nace en el barrio con su nombre y  a través de los tiempos y por muchos años más tarde llegué a trabajar con un joven con su nombre (él tendria casi su edad)si hubiera vivido, fue un regalo de tres años ver lo que pudo haber sido mi Gabriel

Cada 14 de septiembre me sumerjo mi en la oración, veo como se convierte un año más y solamente una cosa es cierta; sé que estoy más cerca de reunirse con él una vez más. Esto es sólo una realidad biológica, tengo dos hijas hermosas que quiero verlos casarse y ver nietos, eso es lo que me mantiene motivado para pasar estos últimos años suponiendo que llegue a la edad de 90 años.

Pero eso no es mi elección, esta en las manos de Dios; el mismo que cuestioné cuando Gabriel murió y he pedido perdón todos estos años, Jesucristo, quien acepto como mi Salvador y su madre la Theotochos Maria quien mi madre me encomendó desde mi nacimiento. Como un devoto Cristiano Ortodoxo he aceptado su muerte y dado muchas gracias por mis hijas que han traído la alegría de la vida, ly enseñado los desafíos de la paternidad.

Pero mientras la fecha llega una vez más, mi corazón una vez más se centra en él, quien nunca vino a este mundo, quien nunca respiro, lloro o sonrío.  Solo ahora 30 años más tarde puedo y entiendo que Gabriel no fue mi sacrificio al coro de los Ángeles (como mi abuela me decía) o que había un propósito, su muerte como otros me aconsejaron. Gabriel en espíritu ha caminado conmigo todos estos años me ha enseñado a la vida el amor y lo he enfocado en las dos hermanas que vinieron después de él. Tengo una visión de él y físicamente lo imaginado. En todas las edades, que él ha trabajado con lo visto le crecen, me he reído y gritado  con él y ver lo nuevo partir.

Hace 30 años un evento que debió dar vida;  de lo que podría haber sido un día feliz y resultó para mi el peor día de mi vida. Una vez que murió, llegue a ser inmune a la muerte, sin miedo, fui a la guerra sin temor de morir, teniendo una hija de dos años en aquel momento sólo dio me motivo a regresar vivo. Después de 30 años he enterrado mi madre, padre, tíos, tías, pero ninguno me han impactado tanto. Fue su muerte que me cambió para ser el hombre que soy hoy.

Gabriel mi hijo te amo y esperamos el dia en que estaremos juntos otra vez. Siempre han estado en mi corazón, me han enseñado a sanar pero nunca olvidado. Por favor, espere un poco más debe suceder mucho antes de que estemos juntos otra vez. Tienes tus abuelos a tu lado, te mantendrá compañía por ahora.

Pero en esta fecha me acuerdo de ti como si hubiera sido ayer, Te quire Papá







No comments:

Post a Comment