Sunday, October 16, 2011

In Memory of Nicole E. Mas




For more than two years this blog has been a forum for international affairs, posting Items of conflict, war terrorism. I created it as blotter, or precursor to a book in the making that will be called “The Regiment” The book will cover my life memories, my life in the Army, during the Gulf War of 1990-91 and the Cold War 1978-89 of which encompassed all of my active duty life. But also within these two years I have posted items of the heart, things to grow by, compassion, and real lessons my life has taught me.

On October 12th of this year, the eldest daughter 27 years of age; of a great man, a doctor, a leader and friend passed away. Her name is Nicole E. Mas a child at heart, a doctor to be pending her board but a great human being. Nicole’s death has opened wounds to many of us who have paid the highest price to be part of this selected group of parents that have lost a child….. The membership in the choir of angels is the highest price any parent can pay.

Nicole was the first born, a love child, her mother said during the Eulogy …. A common attribute we say about all first born, since they open the way for others to come. And in this day and age not always can a couple bear children so your first born does carry a lot of weight. They are the projection of love within the couple; they make a parent for the first time feel different and changed our lives completely. Nicole’s passing has left not only her parents but a complete community of caregivers such as Leon Medical Centers in tears. All of those of us who work alongside Dr. Mas have felt the loss of Nicole’s as it would have been ours.  Even more sadly, for a select group which have also suffered this hardship in our own lives.

Listening to the homily during her memorial on Saturday was really a remembrance of the fragility of life. The priest said some things that rekindled the past. He said it was her time …. That God knows when you will be born and when you will die… but is that comforting enough for a parent who has just lost a child? He went on to say that she fulfilled her job on this earth….. again a young adult beginning to live and it is not understandable how this can be…..How can that suffice for parents, brothers and sisters that now have to live with the fact she will no longer be with us?

Loosing your child is a nameless event…….. When you loose your parents you become an orphan, when you loose your spouse you are now a widow, and what do you call when you loose a child? There is no earthly word to describe this experience. The grief is exceptionally high, can cause divorce of couples, can drive you to many other things but if it were not because of your faith and support, this life long bereavement process would be unbearable.

So today, I pray for the Mas family so they can now navigate this new journey of the rest of their lives, with the support from friends, family and others to help them cope with this terrible loss…. As a father who lost a son at birth 24 years ago, I an only pray for strength for them. To me it was devastating; I lost my boy, my first born, the family name, my dreams my future….. Nicole was also a first born and if both were alive today Nicole 27 and Gabriel 24 only three years apart…

I cannot fathom the pain, the repetitive nightmare the Mas family is going through, It has taken me years of bereavement to overcome partially my loss at age 0. Just can’t imagine them after having lived 27 years with her and all of the sudden she is gone.  So today I take this time this time to remember Nicole a young lady who in her last request to her father was to donate all her organs and body to science. Nicole was one who went to Haiti during the following weeks of the earthquake.  Nicole gave herself to others always.   This young child had created a foundation to help the underprivileged in Haiti and Dominican Republic and if you do feel you want to help keep her memory alive please do by sending your contributions to:

Nicole E. Mas Foundation
M.A.S.
Medicna Amor y Servicio
c/o Maria Padron
Gibraltar Private Bank & Trust
220 Alhambra Circle, Eight Floor
Coral Gables, Fl 33134
(305) 476-1982

El Coronel     October 16th, 2011









3 comments:

  1. Mabel Padron-HernandezMay 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

    This is beautiful. I didn't know Nicole but I know her aunt, a physician who played a large role in saving my own child's life. It hurts me to know she has saved so many children yet could not save a "child" (in her eyes) whom she loved so dearly. I saw her tonight and can still see the pain in her eyes. Thank you for paying this tribute to someone who touched so many lives by her sweet and caring ways and the love she shared with all who knew her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mabel: I work with Nicole's Father and uncle and could not bear the pain when it happened. I lost my son at birth 25 years ago and it has taken a toll in my life just figure Nicole at 27.

      This post was written from my heart as a memorial and is to date the number one post in 2 and a half years since this blog got started.

      I am glad you have met the Mas family, and continue to pray for them as they endure this new path of their lives. Even more that this memorial was available for you to share

      As we say in the Greek Catholic Orthodox church: Memories Eternal, may her Memories be Eternal

      Delete
  2. On Your Day Nicole Eonias Imini May your Memory be eternal

    ReplyDelete