Thursday, October 24, 2019

Combat Fatigue a chapter of the book the Regiment written back in August 15th 2011 (Translated to the English Language in 2019)


                                        – Combat Fatigue –
While driving to the airport on Friday at 3.56 AM, I was praying, and in doing so always using the Rosary. On that moment a thought of my mother came to me, a woman who was a devoted of the Rosary and prayed it several times a day especially during the long years of convalescence of multiple sclerosis.  It gave me a feeling of guilt to know that for a day, or several, I hadn't thought of her, and there I jumped to a historic moment back in December 1990; where we were right in the process of formulating the attack plans (the entry into Kuwait-Iraq in 1991) which should have been "... The mother of battles..."  Where Saddam Hussein predicted the deaths of thousands of Americans and a large number of mothers mourning their children over the bloodshed in that desert

Focusing on the theme "Combat fatigue" I don't remember the day it was, but after several planning sessions where the G2-G3 staff considered the kind of forces to use, movement tables, what engineering equipment to be used at the breach; contingencies whether  we followed in the British or Egyptians in the attack, depending on where it was most necessary to "exploit a breakthrough"  that is using the most powerful tank division that would then take the advance and penetrate with blunt force on the enemy.  After several days of 36-48 hours of continuous working; of planning without sleep, the night and the day are confused, because in the command post you work with a black out lights and only when you need to go out to eat and go to the bathroom, until then you don’t get to find out if it is day or night, hot or cold or if the is a moonlit night. At that time even the day of the week is forgotten, every day is the same, contrary to the normal days were we worked shifts of 12-13 hours since we arrived in Saudi Arabia. Given the need to complete organizational charts, plans and movement tables, we only worked on goals imposed for completion by hours or reviews before the next meeting that took place every 12 hours (during  shift changes). The plans changed every time when another unit arrived, forced to modify the plan, which put us in check for more than 32 days. And it wasn't until we were told to stop, that we did and in one of those times that we were given about 6 hours to sleep, I remember very well the incident that would change my whole life. It was one of those days between long periods of work that I woke up, and I was lost, I didn't even know who I was, I asked myself, then I remember that I had a daughter, that I was married that I had lost a son a couple of years ago and in the middle of that moment  I cried ....without consolation.  It was there that I met (first person- Myself) what combat fatigue is..... It is  what it is to bring the body and mind to the limit, to the point of total weariness, which lead to the breakdown of a human being. This happened without firing a shot, long before going into combat, but given the circumstances and its description it is the same suffering that many soldiers who have not rested, after long hours and turns them into non-combatants..... This is the result of a process where there is a great level of intensity that only keeps one concentrated at that moment by an event, whether fighting to live or surviving, where everything else takes a background, and is at that moment by an event, whether fighting to live or surviving, where everything else takes a background, and is at that moment rest ...that the two meet and you feel guilty.

Today you remember it and a few tears comes to my eyes, at the time it was despairing and painful, a feeling of emptiness and loneliness. You look around disoriented, oblivious to your reality as a result of time and tiredness.

Sometimes I am accused of being cold, of not feeling or reacting in a certain way. After that event I am more aware of the stress of each day, of the work, of the everyday Today is a long day that began at 3:30 AM and possibly will not end until late tonight. I started driving about 40 miles to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, flying about 364 miles, loading a truck full of furniture and other things, I'll drive about 570 miles through four states I'll get to unload the trailer all by midnight and tomorrow unload the truck and assemble my eldest daughter's apartment but if I think of my mother, my grandmother, my wife at home, my little daughter who is on vacation with her uncles, I will also recall that 20 years ago, I forgot who I was during a war and that long periods of work, stress, of the day does not make me forget everyone whom I have left behind during this weekend so as long as it lasts.

The Colonel August 15, 2011 05:45 AM



No comments:

Post a Comment